Re: Need detailed help on creating a Debian package (package name)

T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> writes:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:45:15 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> The typical thing to do in this sort of situation is to document the
>> required modification in README.Debian; it's not entirely satisfactory,
>> but sometimes there isn't another good option.

> Understand & will do. So just create a README.Debian under the debian
> directory, parallel to the README provided by the upstream right?

If you create debian/README.Debian, debhelper (assuming you're using that)
will install it as README.Debian in the /usr/share/doc directory for the
first package listed in debian/control.  If you have multiple packages
built from the same source package, you want to instead name the package
debian/<package>.README.Debian, where <package> is the package that should
get that documentation.

> One more question related to the package I'm building.  The upstream
> call it pam-ssh-agent-auth, and the tarball is called
> pam_ssh_agent_auth-0.9.5.tar.bz2, in which contains a directory named
> pam_ssh_agent_auth-0.9.5. But the RFP wants to call it libpam-ssh-agent
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=595817).

Not libpam-ssh-agent-auth?  Although I suppose that doesn't matter that
much.

> Let's suppose it'd be called libpam-ssh-agent in Debian, what exactly
> should I do to the tarball name and expanded directory name?

mv pam_ssh_agent_auth-0.9.5.tar.bz2 libpam-ssh-agent_0.9.5.orig.tar.bz2

Don't do anything at all with the expanded directory name.  You don't need
to change the tarball in the slightest.

> Is there anywhere else that I should also change? Any of these renaming
> should be packed in the Debian source package as patches?

Nope.  The Debian package will be named based on debian/control and
debian/changelog, and you just need to be sure the build system can find
the *.orig.tar file when building the source package (by naming it in the
very specific format <package>_<upstream-version>.orig.tar.<compression>).
Everything else is automatic, including unpacking the upstream tarball
into the correct directory regardless of what the contents of the upstream
tarball look like.