Cannot get a .changes file from a package

Hello,

Sorry to disturb you with that question, but I've been on that problem
for a couple of hours without finding the solution.

I am the author of the software Polyphone:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/polyphone/
http://www.polyphone.fr/

I would like it to be in debian repositories. I created .deb files with
dpkg-deb --build polyphone-0.6_xxx
and adapted them so that lintian reported only few warnings.

I am now stucked at the step of uploading these packages to
mentors.debian.net. There is no way to create that damn .changes file
from the package (using dpkg-genchanges), packed or not. It's thus
impossible to me to upload the package.

I signed the packages and uploaded them anyway via FileZilla but I
fear it's useless.

What else could I do to upload the packages? They seems to work for
the installation I have never needed the .changes file for that. Why
is it mandatory?

Best regards,
Davy