Re: Advice on packaging SWIG generated python bindings and more

Hi Anton, mentors,

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Anton Gladky <gladk@debian.org> wrote:
> 1) Please, add "--parallel" to dh to get a faster building.

Done.

> 2) Is it difficult to add some kind of auto-test? Better to add one more
> target into makefile (you patch it anyway), so it can be picked up by
> dh_autotest.

I've skimmed the tests and most of them need a robot (microcontroller)
connected to the computer (running libaria, over serial connection).
There are some tests of library functionality, but it seems I'd have
to patch them also, before creating test target. E.g. angleTest.cpp
reports the test result on stdout, and has the zero exit status
regardless of the test result.

> 3) Do you plan to add some more binaries (java-libaria or something
> like that)? After adding a binary to an existing package, it should go
> to new queue. So if you are planning to add something else, please do it
> now not to bother ftp-master to look at your package after each upload.

Python and Java bindings were made with SWIG 1.3. Python bindings
build with SWIG 2.0, but Java bindings do not. :(

> When you are ready, no need to upload a package to mentors. I can take
> it from VCS.

I've pushed the latest version on github
(https://github.com/jksrecko/libaria), together with some other
branches (squeeze-backport and libaria2-java). I might have a look at
tests next week, so there is no hurry to upload the package.

PS About the backported version, I had to use some backported packages
for building (debhelper, lintian, hardening-includes, dpkg-dev,
libdpkg-perl). As I understand, I'm to provide the resulting debs so
this is not a problem?

Best,
JKS