Re: Packaging from scratch

Thanks Timo, Gert, Martin and Chris.

I had indeed misunderstood a few things.
I now have a "lintian clean" package and will look further into the groups you've pointed me to

Cheers
David

Le 05/06/2013 14:19, Chris Knadle a écrit :
On Wednesday, June 05, 2013 05:01:33, David Parsons wrote:
I've been working on packaging something (a scientific tool for RNA
sequence analysis) that has never been packaged neither in source nor
binary. Most of the material I could find on getting involved in
packaging for Debian relates to doing something on an *existing* package
so I'm having trouble in understanding the whole thing/process.
Usually working with existing packages _to update them_ is explained first,
because this is (usually) easier than starting from scratch is.

In terms of documentation, I like Lucas Nussbaum's "Packaging Tutorial" [3][4]
which is also available in Debian as the "packaging-tutorial" package.  [5]

The typical recommended way I've seen to start packaging from scratch is to
install 'devscripts' and 'dh-make', then expland the upstream source and run
dh_make in the directory to make a starting set of files in the /debian
directory, and work from there.

As for now, the package I have built seems to do the job (I installed it
and used the soft succesfully on a Virtual Machine), but I'm not sure I
haven't missed something. Is there a tool to check a package for
standard compliance ?
'lintian' is the standard package checker, and 'piuparts' for checking that
the package installs/uninstalls cleanly.

   3: http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=640
   4: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/packaging-tutorial/packaging-tutorial
   5: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/doc/packaging-tutorial

   -- Chris