Re: Multiarch: how to get arch in runtime?

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:
> But, what is the reason you want the executable to be multiarched for?

In my case you are right. However, in the general case if think there is
a good use case: If you have a program that uses precompiled extensions,
and you have an extension only available on a certain architecture, then
you may want to use the executable for this architecture as
well. Imagine f.e. Python and an i386-only database interface module.

Theoretically, this is the case for IRAF as well (it heavily works with
precompiled extensions); however the extensions are regular executables;
so they easily be mixed with different architectures.

To enable this, should I mark all these packages with "Multi-Arch:
foreign"? I will have potentially one package that is available for i386
only, and I'd like to have its dependency met even on a x86_64 platform.

Best regards

Ole