Re: How to avoid "all arch" notice in dpkg-buildpackage.

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 06:38:30PM -0400, linux at iocellnetworks wrote:
> >>I am working on the debian package for 7.0 ndas.
> >>I would like to have it build without comment, notice or error.
> >>
> >>I use the instructions here
> >Where?
> Sorry.
> These are the build instructions:
> https://github.com/iocellnetworks/ndas4linux/wiki/How-to-build,-install-and-remove-.deb-ndas-packages
These are not instructions how to write a debian package, they tell about
building an existing one, using code that you didn't write or even read.

> >>There are some notices left though in the dh_ commands.
> >>
> >>example: dh_builddeb: You asked that all arch in(dep) packages be
> >>built, but there are none of that type
> >>
> >>Can any of y'all point me to the place those are specified so I can
> >>have it build those, or bypass?
> >Mostly impossible to tell without seeing your debian/rules.
> Rules on this build are here:
> https://github.com/iocellnetworks/ndas4linux/blob/master/3.2.0/platform/linux/tarball-tag/debian/rules

# This version is for a hypothetical package that can build a kernel
# modules
# architecture-dependant package via make-kpkg, as well as an
# architecture-independent module source package, and other packages
# either dep/indep for things like common files or userspace components
# needed for the kernel modules.

It's fine that this generic code for a hypothetical package generates some
harmless warnings.

> >If you are
> >calling programs with -i while not having any arch-indep packages then you
> >should not do that
> Maybe this is where to start? The architecture in the control file
> says "all".
> I changed the one for the modules to amd64, when I am building on
> the 64Bit version.
> I got the notice in either case.
Please don't do things you don't understand to fix problems that do not
exist.
If you really want to fix those warnings you need to understand how does
this debian/rules work and what causes the warnings, and then fix them.

> >  (it's also not a good idea to blindly copy-paste code
> >from some instructions on the web without understanding what does that
> >code do).
> I do run the code, almost as it was from the beginning. I did not
> write it, but I also
> do not know what it does, since I have not much experience.
Then you don't need to fix those warnings.