Re: What's the proper way to build from debian dsc

T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> writes:

> So I found the glimpse dsc file at
> ftp://ftp.cstone.net/debian/pool/non-free/g/glimpse/glimpse_4.18.5-1.dsc

> Can anyone explain me in simple commands how I can build and test upload
> this glimpse package please? Of course, starting from to get it, and then
> properly update the debian/changelog, all the way to test upload, in as
> few steps as possible.

> Maybe "increase the least significant version # and add my change
> comment, and my id" can be handled by a single properly parameterized
> dch command, or maybe not. But proper commands always speaks for
> themselves.

% export DEBEMAIL=mlist4suntong@yahoo.com
% export DEBFULLNAME="T o n g"             # or whatever you want to use
% dget ftp://ftp.cstone.net/debian/pool/non-free/g/glimpse/glimpse_4.18.5-1.dsc
% cd glimpse-4.18.5
   # make required changes to the package
   # change Maintainer in debian/control to match DEB* settings above
% dch -i
   # add descriptions of your changes using your editor, opened by dch
   # save and exit
% debuild
   # if build is successful, *.deb packages will be left up one level
   # install packages, test, iterate as needed
% cd ..
% debsign *.changes
   # the previous step requires you have a GnuPG key set up

They're now ready to upload, which you probably want to do with dput.  If
you're uploading it to mentors, see the mentors documentation for the
correct dput configuration and target.