Re: git packaging workflow notes, diagram

Antonio Ospite <ospite@studenti.unina.it> writes:

> I recall a discussion here[1 and followups] about a connected issue:
> another point of importing tarballs with pristine-tar was told to be the
> fact that .orig.tar.gz generated from git are not stable and thus there
> could be problems with DAK when re-uploading them.

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2012/12/msg00044.html

> However I don't know if this remark is still valid with the current
> tools and workflows. Could anyone please clarify the situation?

You need to keep the verbatim tarball that you generated for the first
upload to generate subsequent uploads (until there's a new upstream
release), because git archive won't reliably generate a byte-for-byte
identical tarball as required by the Debian repository.  It's easy to do
this with pristine-tar: just check the first tarball you generate into
pristine-tar and let it do its thing for subsequent uploads.