Re: git packaging workflow notes, diagram

On 04/04/13 10:07, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> On 04/04/2013 09:55, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've had a few discussions with people about the git workflow for packaging.
>>
>> I've now made a diagram about this that may be useful for people, it is
>> relevant to autotools projects in particular:
>>
>> http://danielpocock.com/autotools-project-distribution-and-packaging-on-debian
>>
>> Please let me know if anything could be clarified further
> Conondrum can be solved, as explained today by Russ Allbery :
>
> http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2013-04/001.html

I actually think that the comments from Joey and Russ are both very
valuable and it would be good to get everything together into a single
document that explains both the dual-repository approach and the
combined approach.

My comments were not intended to (and do not prevent) what either of
them is proposing.  Certainly, it was meant to raise awareness of the
fact that files from the upstream tarball may not be in upstream's tag:
and I simply provide one way of dealing with it, a method that is used a
lot and that was what I came across at the time I started contributing
packages to Debian.

Obviously the combined approach (Russ) is really only possible if
upstream uses git, because of it's distributed nature.  The
dual-repository approach remains relevant if upstream is on CVS or SVN
and the Debian packages are to be maintained with git.

I'm happy to work some of this feedback and links to the other posts
into my own blog