Re: building debug and release with new style debhelper

Am Mittwoch, den 03.04.2013, 15:38 +0600 schrieb Andrey Rahmatullin:

> > > I think you should instead drop the debug build, those aren't shipped
> > > in Debian usually.
> >
> > That's not really what I want. The packages I'm building (richbool and
> > modassert) are mainly concerned with providing information about failed
> > asserts in debug code. So the debug builds are actually more important
> > than the release ones.
> Are release builds still necessary then?
I would say so. If an application is built in debug, it links the debug
libs, and gets all the verbose output. If an application is built in
release, it links the release build, which still can have some
reporting, but reduced.

> > I'm even considering to make the librichbool-dev package depend on the
> > librichbool-dbg package.
> Note that -dbg packages usually contain only detached debug symbols, and
> you seem to build two separate libraries with the same soname but
> different compilation options and package them into libfoo and libfoo-dbg,
> is that true?
Ok, then I pack the debug lib into the dev package.

Rgds
Richard