Re: Depending on a -bin package built from the same source version

Hi Seven,

Il 10/03/2013 21:47, Sven Joachim ha scritto:
On 2013-03-10 21:09 +0100, Eric Lavarde wrote:

On 10/03/13 20:17, Antonio Valentino wrote:

Il 10/03/2013 19:59, Sven Joachim ha scritto:

A valid possibility would be to reverse the roles and dependencies:
rename polsarpro to polsarpro-data and polsarpro-bin to polsarpro, then
polsarpro can depend on polsarpro-data (= ${source:Version}).

yes I could use polsarpro-data or polsarpro-gui but the problem remains.

The GUI is written in Tcl/Tk and is arch: all and it must depend form
the package containing command line programs that is arch: any.

Without command line programs the GUI can't perform any useful task.
The assumption from Sven was, I think, that GUI and CLI always come
together,

That was indeed my assumption, don't know if it is valid but the
polsarpro-bin.install file indicates that all the CLI programs are
installed under /usr/lib/polsarpro, so they are probably not very useful
on their own.

Cheers,
        Sven

As said in the previous post I can't exclude that some advanced user may want to use command line programs directly but AFIK the majority of the people always uses the GUI program.

Anyway the main reason why cli programs are installed in /usr/lib/polsarpro is that they are a very large number and not always they have a clean naming scheme so I preferred to not clutter the /usr/bin directory with such programs.

thanks for your help

--
Antonio Valentino