Re: Depending on a -bin package built from the same source version

Hi,

On 10/03/13 20:17, Antonio Valentino wrote:
Hi Sven, hi Eric,

Il 10/03/2013 19:59, Sven Joachim ha scritto:
On 2013-03-10 19:26 +0100, Eric Lavarde wrote:

On 10/03/13 18:48, Antonio Valentino wrote:
Configuration item 'binary:polsarpro Depends:2' has a wrong value:
dependency 'polsarpro-bin (<< ${source:Version}.1~)' does not match
grammar

Should I care about it?
Not about the "unknownness" of the package as you're currently
packaging it.
But about the wrong version value: you can't combine a placeholder and
other characters.

Why not?

Is it possible that cme is complaining about that.
Is it a cme bug?
Reading again some doc, placeholder and other characters should be allowed, but it could be indeed that cme is more restrictive (perhaps add a zero after the tilde?).

Is there a better solution to address the specific problem?
Yes, simply depend on version equality:

Depends: polsarpro-bin (= ${source:Version})

Remark: you might want to check [1] if a binary:Version placeholder
wouldn't be a better choice.

Assuming that polsarpro is Arch:all and polsarpro-bin is Arch:any, which
seems to be the case here, neither of these options works.

A valid possibility would be to reverse the roles and dependencies:
rename polsarpro to polsarpro-data and polsarpro-bin to polsarpro, then
polsarpro can depend on polsarpro-data (= ${source:Version}).

Cheers,
Sven

yes I could use polsarpro-data or polsarpro-gui but the problem remains.

The GUI is written in Tcl/Tk and is arch: all and it must depend form
the package containing command line programs that is arch: any.

Without command line programs the GUI can't perform any useful task.
The assumption from Sven was, I think, that GUI and CLI always come together, then you could have
CLI depends on GUI = version
GUI depends on CLI (no version)
and users would always tend to install the simplest named package, i.e. polsarpro but if of course the CLI can be used stand-alone it makes things more complicated...

I haven't completely thought it through, but you could perhaps have:
GUI depends on CLI (>= version)
CLI conflicts with GUI << version and with GUI >> version
(I don't know if conflicts reacts the same way as depends, i.e. remove the +b stuff from source:Version!?)

As a side-note, you might want to pay attention to the package name if the CLI can be used independently: I don't think there is a standard but -bin doesn't sound like something to use standalone, it sounds more like libraries and plugins, i.e. "inert" stuff used by the main package. -cli might be a better choice.

Hope this helps, Eric