Re: RFS: tilda package

CC: David Truffa, Filippo Giunchedi
@David, could you please take a look at this discussion and let me know
if you still maintain tilda or if you are willing to put it up for adoption.
@Filippo, you already told me that you are not maintaining tilda
anymore, but you are still listed as maintainer too [1]. Could you give
the package free for adoption please?

On 17/02/13 22:16, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2013-02-17 21:50:38 +0100 (+0100), Lanoxx wrote:
> [...]
>> Unfortunately I do not have any packaging experience and currently
>> hardly the time to learn it. I tried it a few times before and it
>> does not seem to be an easy process. I am therefore looking for a
>> sponsore to package and upload tilda to debian.
>>
>> Given the fact that there is already a tilda package in debian and
>> the program it self is very small and as only a few dependencies, I
>> believe it should not be too much effort for a skilled packager.
> [...]
>
> A sponsor is merely someone with access to upload packages into
> Debian on your behalf, but you are instead suggesting that you would
> like to see someone package a new upstream release of an existing
> package. Generally you want to file a wishlist bug against that
> package notifying the maintainer of the availability of a new
> upstream release (or an active upstream fork), which it appears you
> have done a few months ago:
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/695574

Right, I guess I forgot about this bug. One thing to note, I would
consider my release not as a fork, but rather as a continuation of the
previous tilda version. A fork always sounds like development is
split up into two separate branches (which is not the case). I am in
contact with the previous developers and since they do not intend to
continue to work on tilda, I consider my repository to be the now
offical upstream release. But as I mentioned, it there is any doubt
concerning that, then I do have access to the github repository of
Tristan Sloughter and could also merge my code there.

> In this case, however, it sounds like you're implying that the
> previous maintainer of this package has abandoned it and you are
> instead seeking to have a new maintainer adopt it and continue the
> previous packaging effort. This is a bit more involved, but
> generally would start with you convincing the existing maintainer
> (Davide Truffa) to officially orphan it, in hopes that another
> packager with available time will adopt it.

I am not that familiar with debian policies yet, I guess you are right.
I am looking for a new maintainer to pick up the package and make a new
release. I have written a mail to Fillippo and David on October 20,
2012, when I made the release 1.0.2, Filippo replied the next day, that
he does not maintain tilda anymore, but David did not reply at all.

Regards
Lanoxx

[1] http://packages.debian.org/stable/tilda