xdg menu entries

Hi folks,
To learn packaging I've decided to package up Mari0. A game that runs on
love2d by http://www.stabyourself.net .

Since the game is lua and the source "is" the final target, it needs to
be executed against the love package. I've made a menu entry like so;

?package(mari0):needs="X11" \
	section="Games/Action" \
  title="Mari0" command="love /usr/share/games/mari0/mari0-1.6.love"

But after packaging and installing I've noticed the above is for the
Debian menu system. I'm running xfce 4.8 (wheezy) and the Debian menu is
missing by default. I presume also that Gnome, KDE etc that also follow
the XDG menu system will have to dig through the Debian menu to find the
entry for this game. I have two questions.

1) How are XDG .desktop files handled. What is Debian policy regarding
these?

2) Is it acceptable to create a .desktop file for the game, or more
appropriately, is it acceptable to create a shell script in /usr/games/
that can execute the Mari0 game with a single command? That way people
can run it from a command line.