Re: Packaging a Patched Kernel

I would suggest that you take a look at the existing Linux patch
packages in Debian:

pabs@chianamo ~ $ aptitude search '(kernel|linux)-patch'
p   kernel-patch-atopacct                                         -
save additional statistical counters for atop in the record
p   kernel-patch-atopcnt                                          -
additional statistical counters for atop
p   kernel-patch-scripts                                          -
Scripts to help dealing with packaged kernel patches
p   kernel-patch-viewos                                           -
View-OS - Kernel patch for better UMView performances
p   linux-patch-debianlogo                                        -
Display a Debian logo on a framebuffer device at boottime
p   linux-patch-grsecurity2                                       -
grsecurity kernel patch
p   linux-patch-lustre                                            -
Linux kernel patch for the Lustre Filesystem
p   linux-patch-tuxonice                                          -
TuxOnIce (aka suspend2) kernel patch
p   linux-patch-xenomai                                           -
Linux kernel patches for Xenomai

Thanks for the reply. My understanding of the kernel patch packages was that they were a way of distributing kernel packages so that kernel developers could later include them in a Debian packaging project. Am I correct? It seems that this would be a good way of distributing the patch I have chosen to use, but it doesn't seem to help with deriving a new kernel package from an existing one.

In essence, my concern is the following.  Suppose I have built a new kernel
package using make-kpkg, pulled in the patch set the Debian kernels are using, and added the bcache patch as well. If the Debian kernel developers add a new patch, the kernel I'm building won't include it. This is the reason I'm trying to derive my kernel package from an existing Debian kernel package: I'm assuming that anything out of the Debian repo is the latest and greatest and I just want
to drop bcache on top of it.

That said, the process of explaining this has helped me understand why I'm not exactly in the Debian packaging mainstream. I think I'll keep doing what I'm
doing until it breaks (or until I find out that I'm breaking policy in some
way).

Does anyone have any thoughts about the distribution issue?  Are there any
special rules a third-party package repository should follow w.r.t. their
packages' distributions?

Thanks,

Zach