Re: Maintainer address for collab-maint team maintained packages

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Arno Töll wrote:
> Thing is, you can't use the QA forwarder because it relies on your
> source control field to learn about actual forwardings. If you would add
> right that address, the result would be an infinite loop because you
> would essentially forward mail to <package>@packages.debian.org to
> <package>@packages.debian.org. I hope it is clear why this won't work.

Yeah, but this should be easily fixable... we can fix the script
generating the alias to strip those emails
(/srv/packages.debian.org/bin/build-maintainerdb).

The problem lies elsewhere. The BTS, dak and many Debian services mail
the address listed in the Maintainer field *and* send a copy to the PTS.
This includes packages.debian.org which mail the Maintainer (not
Uploaders) and the PTS.

If you put @packages.debian.org as Maintainer, the flow of email is
duplicated. Once via @packages.debian.org and once directly via the PTS.

This is also fixable but it's less easy to do it in a clean way, except by
teaching this special case to all services... which is painful.

It's one of the reason which pushed me to start
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep2/ but alas I'm too busy to go forward with
it currently.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/