RFC: xinetd autoreconf

Hello,

i am taking over the orphaned xinetd, and i am working here:
https://github.com/ltworf/xinetd-debian

the current package has a patch that basically is a replacement of the
configure script. The patch is extremely complicated and i guess not really
meant for human eyes.

I must premise that on my architecture xinetd compiles fine without that
patch, but someone on #debian-it suggested that it might be necessary for
other architectures.

What i was trying to do is to use dh_autoreconf and have the configure script
regenerated automatically instead of including a patch i can't check.

But the autoreconf command fails. I've tried multiple versions and it always
fails giving a long list of warnings about missing template and then
> autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoheader failed with exit status: 1

The original maintainer of xinetd replied after a long delay to my request and
pointed me here, so i have absolutely no clue of what he did to re-generate
the configure script.

At this point i would think of making an experimental upload just to see if it
builds on every arch without that patch.
If someone is more expert on autotools and can see why autoreconf actually
fails would be the ideal solution.

Suggestions anyone?

Bye

--