Re: how to document removed Build-Depends in debian/changelog (Re: viennacl at mentors)

Le Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:25:14AM +0000, Bart Martens a écrit :

> I would mention this in debian/changelog :
>
>   * debian/control: No longer Build-Depends: poppler-utils, asciidoc, lynx.
>
> But I don't know how detailed such information must be for debian-policy.
> Sometimes it is useful to also mention the reasons.  I'm adding debian-mentors
> in cc so that other sponsors can comment if they want to.

Hi all,

Policy's section 4.4 indicates that "Changes in the Debian version of the
package should be briefly explained in the Debian changelog file
debian/changelog".  In that sense, the entry "Remove unused build-deps" is
already quite informative as it provides the explanation for the change: the
entries were not used.

For packages that I maintain in a Git repository, I tend to become brief like
this in my changelogs, and more verbose in the corresponding commits, for which
the changelog mentions the first numbers of the hash ID.  But this is a matter
of taste; all in all, it does not cost much to fill up the changelog line with
more information.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy