Re: SONAME best practice

Le 15/05/12 11:26, Daniel Pocock a écrit :
> I agree that this is valid and that these libs/pkgs can co-exist
>
> My preference would be for the soname libmusicbrainz.so.5, is there any outright reason to avoid the other way of doing it, or it is largely at the discretion of upstream in each case?

Upstream are free to do whatever they see fit (and Debian is free to
override it whenever *necessary*). As upstream, it's not easy to guess
what will more manageable in the longer run and what really matters is
that ABI changes end-up in SONAME changes. If those changes are funky...
sort of breaks the monotony of a rainy day :-)

Regards, Thibaut.