Re: is wheezy frozen already?

On 12/05/12 10:07, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> I notice that packages have not been taken from the queue for 3 weeks:
>>
>>   http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html
>
> Freezes and NEW are mostly unrelated.

Can you elaborate on that a little?  The link you provided below doesn't
explain the status of NEW - but Google found various things suggesting
that Debian stopped accepting new packages before squeeze was released.

>>  Are people just wasting their time preparing packages that are going to be passed over?
>
> Packages that don't make it into unstable before the freeze won't make
> it into wheezy, but that doesn't mean they are "passed over", they
> just have to wait for the next release or for wheezy-backports to be
> open.

I imagine that could be quite disappointing for people who have put a
lot of effort into a package - I'm involved with a couple of packages
where upstream have made a lot of effort to get things in good shape for
Debian and I'm keen to make sure I don't let them down.

Does the package have to be in unstable or it actually has to have
progressed to testing as well before the freeze?

>> There is no official statement about this on the mentors site or this
>> mailing list for example, but Google finds a few unofficial
>> announcements on various mailing lists advising that a freeze is imminent
>
> The release team usually makes their statements on d-d-a, not
> -mentors. Their latest mail states that the freeze is "due in June",
> sounds imminent to me :)
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/01/msg00009.html

I can understand not everything is announced everywhere, but I thought
it might have been mentioned here given all the ITP/RFS activity on this
list.

When deadlines are set, will there be any kind of notice for people to
get things uploaded?  Or the release team just make a decision one day
and it is effective immediately?