Re: Migrating doc directory to a symlink

Hi Ben and mentors,

On 10-05-12 01:22, Ben Finney wrote:
> Policy dictates, and ‘dpkg’ obeys, that this change is not respected.
> The result is that the existing directory remains, and is no longer
> populated in the new release.
>

> The package installs a duplicate documentation directory containing
> identical files to its dependency, so I Think it's best to migrate that
> to a symlink to the dependency's documentation directory. How can I do
> that without violating Policy?

Interesting question as I expect that I will face a similar issue in the
not so far future.

Am I wrong in reading the policy so that it says that dpkg will not do
this automatically, but as a maintainer, you are allowed to do that
yourself in e.g. the preinst upgrade target? I.e. check if the version
you come from is one from the time you provided the directory and if
yes, then remove the directory. (Maybe a little error handling, but if
this is the last item in the preinst upgrade target, and the unpacking
is expected to pass (no error handling mention in the policy at that
location) it seems unnecessary.)

As mentioned, I am not sure, but that is how I read this section the
other day.

Paul