Migrating doc directory to a symlink

Howdy all,

How should I consolidate the identical documentation directories of
several binary packages from the same source package?

Debian bug#672224 <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/672224> notes, correctly,
that a new release switched ‘/usr/share/doc/python-coverage-dbg’ from a
directory to a symlink.

Policy dictates, and ‘dpkg’ obeys, that this change is not respected.
The result is that the existing directory remains, and is no longer
populated in the new release.

The package installs a duplicate documentation directory containing
identical files to its dependency, so I Think it's best to migrate that
to a symlink to the dependency's documentation directory. How can I do
that without violating Policy?

--
 \        “I installed a skylight in my apartment. The people who live |
  `\                             above me are furious!” —Steven Wright |