Re: Is it ok to distribute xapian index with Upstream Source file?

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Alexander Busorguin wrote:

> dualword is a foreign language vocabulary trainer. There is original
> index with words in
> /usr/share/dualword/index and user can create a copy in
> .dualword/index where user
> statistics is stored.

Sounds reasonable (and an interesting program).

I might be interested in sponsoring this, I'll look at your RFS mail
to debian-mentors when it gets sent.

>>How long does it take to generate the xapian index?

You didn't answer this query.

>>How large is the xapian index?
> I've started this project a couple of month ago and index is quite small ~1mb

It seems reasonable to ship that index in a binary package.

>>Do we have the tools to build the xapian index in Debian? I know we
>>have xapian in Debian but there may be some preprocessing tools needed
>>for passing data to xapian.

You didn't answer this question either.

> It's the reason why I'm asking. I'll have to make some changes if it's
> a requirement.

Unless there is a good reason not to, you should build generated files
at package build time (or runtime).

--
bye,
pabs