Re: supertransball2 at mentors 2012-11-01 16:38

Hi Bart,

Thank you for reviewing supertransball2.

On 03.11.2012 20:52, Bart Martens wrote:
> I read that the license is GPL 2, but I don't read "or (at your option) any
> later version".  Where did you read that ?

The author of supertransball2 himself speaks simply of "GPL license" in
the readme.txt file and at his homepage.

http://www.braingames.getput.com/stransball2/

Thus the old debian copyright file also talks about "GNU GPL" and links
to /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL where you can find the GPL-3 today.

In addition he also put a new file called license.txt, the GPL-3, into
the last source package at his homepage which was created in 2009. The
source code is identical to the one shipped with Debian hence i
concluded the original intention back in 2005 was to let the users
decide if they prefer GPL-2 or any later version of the license. Thus i
think GPL-2+ is the appropriate license.

> Why experimental and not unstable ?

I started a thread on debian-devel-games about the games i intend to adopt.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2012/10/msg00063.html

Then Paul Wise asked me to target them at experimental because of the
freeze.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2012/10/msg00066.html

> I'm not sure about "merge the old patches into one".  Are you sure that this is
> an improvement ?

Bluntly spoken, yes, although it might be just a matter of taste.

My reasoning is: There were 4 patches whereas patch 2-4 dealt with the
same path issue and patch 1 modified the Makefile. So they could have
been already combined.
If upstream was still active today i would prefer multiple patches true
to the motto "One issue, one patch". In reality there haven't been any
signs of upstream development for seven years now, so it's reasonable to
conclude the patches are not upstreamable. They simply represent the
delta to the original sources.
I'm also using git + git-buildpackage for the packaging and keeping all
the changes in one patch by creating a patch-queue branch, commiting and
using gbp-export is the most efficient way for me and saves time.

> Why base the debian/watch file on stransball2-v15-windows.zip and not on
> stransball2-v15-source.zip ?

stransball2-v15-windows.zip is the last available archive at the
homepage which also includes the sources. All other links including
stransball2-v15-source.zip are broken.

Regards,

Markus