Re: mp3diags at mentors

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Josué Ortega <skate77gt@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Josue,

I had a look at mp3diags at mentors uploaded there on 2012-10-06 06:36.  I see
that you want to adopt this package without changes (except for the three added
newlines in debian/rules).  So I had a look at the package to see what could be
improved.  I saw that debian/copyright is not correct and that the upstream
license information is quite confusing.  I submitted bug 689811 for that.  It
would be nice to have that bug fixed in wheezy.

Regards,

Bart Martens

Hi Bart,

Thanks for took a look , I'll be working on this bug and I'll noticing you , about the changes in debian rules probably I left some white lines after trying to add hardening flags but since the package is using cmake and compat level 7 I decided to wait to the fix of cmake's bug

Regards
--
Josue Ortega
openfecks.wordpress.com

Hi Bart, I just uploaded the version of mp3diags wich fixes the problem with the debian copyright

I wrote an email to upstream asking for the licenses and this is the reply:

 "Hi Josue,

Basically the "About" box tells where which license applies:

- All the code is GPL V2, including the UI files. Since they are generated, I'm not sure I can list a license inside them. The rest of my supporting code (mainly build scripts and tools) is also GPL V2.

- The icons are mainly taken from KDE 4' Oxygen icon set, which is LGPL V3 (which, unlike V2, was created as an addition to GPL V3, and needs the GPL V3 text to make sense, so that's why GPL V3 got included). Some icons are created by me. They are also LGPL V3, to keep things simple.

- The program uses 3 libraries: Qt (which is LGPL V.2.1), Boost (with its own custom license), and zlib (with its own custom license). It is my understanding that I should mention these licenses, and that's why they are included, even if none of my files is under any of these licenses.

It is also my understanding that the way I use the libraries and the icons is consistent with their licensing terms.

The reason the licenses are included twice, once in the root directory and again in src/licenses:
- users who download the package expect to find licenses in the root directory
- the ones in src/licenses are shown in the "About" dialog; I think I couldn't convince the build to use the ones in the root, so I duplicated them

For the second question: all icons are LGPL V3. The GPL V3 is included because the definition of LGPL V3 needs it.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if there is any issue with the licenses, or if you have suggestions.

Thanks,
   Marian"

Based on the previous information I've changed the debian copyright
here is the link for the new version of mp3diags in mentors:
https://mentors.debian.net/package/mp3diags

Regards