Re: How I can help? - Second attempt

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:56:31AM +0200, jose antonio wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have installed Debian Wheezy on my computer and I have followed the
> maint-guide (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/) using the
> sources gentoo-0.19.13 I previously have downloaded.
>
> I have practiced with devhelper and does not seem very complicated.
> (Following the guide "GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" ->
> http://sourceware.org/autobook/)
>
> I have programmed in several languages throughout my working life but
> I do not know to program in c++ and it's something I would like to
> learn (Currently, I am developing in Java). In fact, I am following
> the manual GTKmm because I want to learn to create applications for
> Linux and especially for Gnome.

OK.

> That said, I would like to ask if do you think I could help them to
> maintain some gtk++ program by way of introduction?

Maybe you want to adopt one of the packages on these lists ?
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/rfa_byage
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/orphaned_byage

Or maybe you want to fix a release critical bug on this list ?
http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/debian/all.html

> or should I finish
> first the manual and create a small application?

Entirely your choice.

> On the other hand, once downloaded the sources of gentoo-0.19.13, I
> installed Anjuta, Geany ... and have not convinced me too. Then, I
> installed eclipse-linuxtools-indigo-SR2-linux-gtk-incubation-x86_64.tar.gz
> and it seemed to be the most advanced IDE. You could see the
> definitions of functions, from the files in which these functions were
> called using F3 and this is useful for learn about how the program was
> written. Also, I liked the ease of use of debug mode. But I am afraid
> that Eclipse could leave a configuration file that
> could affect the project and perhaps may fail the packaging (not tested).
>
> What IDE do you use to modify the sources of the projects?

Any of your choice.

> Finally, thank you very much for your effort and all your work!
> I like debian and would like to contribute with you, and maybe become
> a Debian Developer in a future! hehe

There is lots of work to do, and if you look around on the debian websites, I'm
sure you'll find work you want to do.

Questions on Debian packaging are welcome on this list:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

Regards,

Bart Martens