Re: RFS: fceu - Cross-platform Famicom/NES emulator (updated package)

Hello Frédéric,

I appear to have missed your reply completely. Sorry. Here comes a
late reply, thank you for all the feedback!

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Frédéric Brière <fbriere@fbriere.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 May 2012 20:01:27 +0200, Alexander Toresson wrote:
>> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 2.1.5-1 of the package
>> "fceu".
>
> What a coincidence, I was just about to send you an email with various
> comments on your packaging effort.  I might as well post them here, in
> case anybody else wants to chime in.
>
>> It is the official successor to the long dead
>> FCEU project; therefore I include a transition package and build upon
>> the fceu source package.
>
> This leads to my main comment: Is "fceu" the appropriate name for the
> source package?  Both upstream and your main binary package agree on
> "fceux", which is a bit confusing.  And AFAIK, fceu and fceux differ on
> some points, such as configuration files locations (~/.fceultra vs.
> ~/.fceux), or behavior (<Esc> will exit fceu, but not fceux, which may
> be confusing in full-screen mode), so I wonder if this really qualifies
> as a drop-in replacement.

You make a valid point, and if you deem it better to create a new
source package, I will change the packaging to reflect that. I still
think that users of fceu should be upgraded to fceux, as it is the
official successor to fceu (I had a source a while ago for this, I
can't find it now, but I will attempt to find it), and this might be
easier to achieve through building on the fceu source package.

> (It would be far from the first time in Debian that a successor of
> package A gets uploaded a package B.  I'm just too lazy to point to an
> example at the moment.  <g>)
>

> Here are my other (less interesting, and more nitpicky) comments:
>
> - It is customary (but not documented, see bug #499167) to add "+dfsg"
>  or a similar suffix to the upstream version when repackaging the
>  tarball.  The dev.ref. (6.7.8.2) also recommends using
>  packagename-upstream-version.orig as the tarball's top directory.
>
>  (It also suggests documenting the repackaging in debian/copyright, but
>  not everybody agrees on this location, so feel free to keep using
>  README.Debian.)

A very valid point, I will fix this in my next version.

> - Incidentally, do you think you could convince upstream to clean up
>  before shipping a tarball?  Not that you wouldn't need to repackage
>  anyway, but it would spare you some lintian warnings and overrides.

I will check whether this is possible.

> - It would probably be a good idea to provide a menu entry (under
>  Applications/Emulators), and maybe a .desktop file as well.
>
> - Your debian directory contains a stray stamp-patched file.
>
> - The Bug: URL in patches/enable-building-with-gcc-4.6.2-and-newer
>  points to a different bug report.  I think you meant aid=3496056.
>
>  (I only stumbled upon this because I was curious to read about
>  upstream's rationale for this patch.  See next point.)

Thank you, I will fix all this!

> - Despite the patch's description, this has nothing to do with GCC
>  (compilation will fail with older versions as well), but is due to
>  gzFile changing from a void* typedef to a struct in zlib 1.2.5.2.

I was actually unsure what the reason for the patch was, and this was
my best guess. Will be fixed!

> - This is purely a matter of personal taste, but have you thought about
>  switching to dh?  All the cool kids are doing it, and the resulting
>  debian/rules is much more enjoyable.  (Incidentally, any idea why
>  yours currently pulls in python.mk?)

I will take a look at dh, though I'm not familiar with it at the moment.
The python dependency must be a relic of an earlier version of fceux
which had a python front-end, it's obsolete now.

> Finally, I'd like to thank you for your time and effort in packaging
> fceux.  Debian sorely lacks a good NES emulator, so your work is quite
> appreciated.  (It certainly came in handy a month ago, when I got the
> urge to play Dragon Warrior following Google's latest April Fools.  <g>)
>
> Here's hoping you find a mentor -- and with any luck, in time for wheezy!

Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I will probably not be in time for wheezy...

// Alexander