Re: (un)patching patched files

Hi Ole,

Le 10/05/12 13:18, Olе Streicher a écrit :
> Gergely Nagy <algernon@balabit.hu> writes:
>> The patch in debian/patches will be large, possibly complicated and
>> whatnot, but you can explain how it is created in debian/README.source,
>> and live happily ever after.
>>
>> There are cases where a bit of ugliness is acceptable. This is one such
>> case.
>
> I still do not see what one would gain with this compared to the
> debian/rules based solution. In principle, I would just need a target
> that is applied just before "dpkg--after-build" is called.

If you use a patch system, you should use it to do the patching: it's
just more consistent and much clearer for your fellow developers who
will look after your package should a NMU ever be necessary or to help
porting to other architectures for instance. Do yourself a favour and
just use a patch to patch whatever has to be patched.

> I have the same problem in another package: here, an executable is going
> to be renamed, and therefore also the manpage. Additionally, the manpage
> needs a patch. Since the manpage is renamed, unpatching it after build
> fails. Also for this case I would need a place to undo the renaming just
> before "dpkg--after-build" is called.

Why not copying instead of moving?

That said, I really don't get why dpkg--after-build does not call
debian/rules clean. It also causes breakages to my packages. I'll
investigate that someday.

Regards, Thibaut.