Re: packaging help

Whit Armstrong <armstrong.whit@gmail.com> writes:

>> I assume it has a main process, which when stopped, would result in the
>> workers being killed too. If that is so, I do not think you need to
>> store the pids of the workers anywhere.
>
> Perhaps I'm confusing terminology here.  The main deamon does not
> spawn the workers.  It and the workers are started by the init.d
> script.  The workers and the main daemon should be started and stopped
> together.
>
> In that case, it seems like I should store the pid's... so I can kill
> them upon stop.
>
> Have I understood correctly?

Correct.

As a suggestion, I'd store the pidfiles under /run/your-program-name/,
under names like worker:0.pid, and main.pid or somesuch.

start-stop-daemon can be of great help here, but unfortunately, I don't
recall any package off the top of my head that would serve as a good
example, even though I know I've met one or two.. :(