Re: Dependencies for FastCGI

On 04/17/2012 11:43 AM, Stefan Ott wrote:
> Hey mentors
>
> I have a question concerning one of my packages (fookebox). It
> currently depends on "libapache2-mod-wsgi | httpd-wsgi" since it's a
> web application that is typically called through WSGI. As requested in
> #667838, I now added the configuration files required to get it to run
> through FastCGI with python-flup. However, I am not entirely sure how
> to change my dependencies to indicate that this is a possibility.

Please don't be so prompt into deciding how a python code will be
executed by the web server. I use, and maintain SBOX, which is a
cgi wrapper, and which can run python scripts. This doesn't need
at all FCGI. I'd be very surprised if WSGI was needed in this case.

> As I see it, one option would be to say that the package depends on
> either (libapache2-mod-wsgi | httpd-wsgi) or (libapache2-mod-fastcgi
> and python-flup).

Another option is to not depend on anything, let the admin decide,
and just make suggestions in the README.Debian. Another way
would be to just use Suggest: or Recommends: (which isn't forcing
anyone into doing what it doesn't want).

Cheers,

Thomas