Re: [RFR] - Multiple (4) PEAR packages needed by PHPUnit - Was: [RFR] - PHP_Timer (Needed by phpunit)

On 03/27/2012 12:59 AM, Luis Uribe wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> It's me again! Trying to upgrade PHPUnit into Debian.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this effort, I really need it myself for testing my own
(numerous) PEAR packages, and I'm really willing to help here. Are you
ok if we work *together*, meaning, I'd be co-maintaining?

Do you mind if we use Git and Alioth to do these packaging? If you are
ok to do like this, then please checkout the Git repository under
/git/pkg-php/pear-phpunit-channel.git on Alioth. I have added,
accordingly, the Vcs fields:

Vcs-Browser: http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-php/pear-phpunit-channel.git
Vcs-Git: http://git.debian.org/git/pkg-php/pear-phpunit-channel.git

If it isn't done already, please register to the PKG-PHP Alioth group,
and if you're not a PEAR packager yet, I can give you these rights (I'm
admin of the PKG-PHP group on Alioth). Let me know when done.

> After our last [0]email i just [1]ask Mathieu for the best way to install
> PEAR packages from a different PEAR channel with pkg-php-tools and i
> decided that the best way is to to create a new package:
> pear-phpunit-channel, because there are many PEAR packages in that
> channel.

I think that this is a good idea and a good approach to the problem.

> So i fill an [2]ITP and [3]upload a new native package for
> pear-phpunit-channel.

Let me start a quick review of this one, then we'll be able to talk
about the others once this first one will be sponsored.

1/ dh_phppear substitution variables in debian/control
First of all, you are using the things for dh_phppear, with your control
file having:

Depends: ${misc:Depends}, php-pear, ${phppear:Debian-Depends}
Recommends: ${phppear:Debian-Recommends}
Breaks: ${phppear:Debian-Breaks}

But this is *not* a PEAR package that you are packaging here. It's a
single file (eg: the pear.phpunit.de.reg and nothing else, if I
understood correctly your package). So there's no reason at all to use
pkg-php-tools, which by the way, you do not even depend on, even with
the variable substitution above.

2/ The use of dh 8 sequencer
While it's "ok" to use the dh 8 sequencer, in fact, your package only
needs to install a single unique file. Frankly, that's a bit overkill to
have all these calls for nothing.

3/ Build-Depends: and Depends: on php-pear
I don't think these are even needed. What we are packaging here is a
single file, which doesn't need pear to get installed or "run". So why
would we [Build-]Depends on php-pear? To me, it's not needed.

4/ Native package
You decided to use a native package. But how did you get the
pear.phpunit.de.reg file? Isn't it coming from upstream?

I have made corrections for all the above. If you agree with this, then
I'll upload. Let me know if there are some points you do not agree with
(I don't pretend to be the best at everything, and you might have
reasons for things you did...).

> Also i create new packages for [4]php-file-iterator,
> [5]php-timer, [6]php-text-template and [7]php-token-stream. All of them
> depends of pear-phpunit-channel and install their .reg file so PEAR
> didn't install a new version of the same package.
>
> Could you (or someone else) take a look at it?

If you don't mind, I'd like to make sure that the pear-phpunit-channel
package is in good shape and uploaded before moving to the others.
Experience showed me that this is the best way to save time.

Thanks for your interest in doing these (very useful) packages,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)