Re: Request For a Review: python-mpd2/0.4.1-1 [ITP]

Hi,

First, thank for the review Fernando :)

I did forget to mention I recently adopt python-mpd, #612909 [0].

I also have to clarify that I only post an ITP for python-mpd2.
This thread is only a request for *review* (not a RFS), I do not intend to ask for a sponsored upload in the near future (waiting at least for wheezy+1).

Le 21/03/2012 00:16, Fernando Lemos a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Geoffroy Youri Berret <efrim@azylum.org> wrote:
>> Le 20/03/2012 17:00, Jakub Wilk a écrit :
> […] I recommend that you consider the following:
>
> * Is the python-mpd upstream unresponsive? It looks like Alexander
> will stop actively maintaining python-mpd soon, but he doesn't support
> the fork for a number of valid reasons that haven't been addressed in
> this RFS.

As I said before upstream was unresponsive for over a year but finally answered and clarified what he wanted for his project [1]. To get it short, upstream does not want to hand over his project (no suitable candidate) and he will eventually publish a last version to catch up with the fork in terms of feature (missing commands and python3).

Upstream author does not support the fork, python-mpd2, because it does not fulfils his standards for code and project orientation (as far as I understood). In an other hand, upstream author neither publish any roadmap, coding style or design goals (though he did plan to do so in the future).

Nonetheless python-mpd2 provides features missing in original code:
    * New MPD commands
    * Python3
    * Unit test

My intention is to provide an alternative to python-mpd, not to replace it.
There is no other up-to-date python module available to play with MPD (well at least none that I know).

> * Does python-mpd2 have a reputable upstream? How long has it been
> maintained by this new upstream? It looks to me like it was just
> recently forked, and this is not a good sign.

Right, actually upstream author is also working on sonata (MPD client) and did start working on python-mpd since the project was dormant. If sonata releases a new version it will certainly depends on python-mpd2 to catch up with latest available commands in MPD.
I also maintain another MPD client named mdp-sima (maintaining both package and upstream), then I'm interested in this fork.
This is why I started this ITP and packaging, I wanted to anticipate a potential future need.

Anyway, I do agree with you, now I have to let time decides whether or not python-mpd2 will be adopted but others.

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/612909
[1] http://jatreuman.indefero.net/p/python-mpd/issues/7/#ic39

Thanks again for your review.
Regards,