Re: RFS: ipset

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 05:34 +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:

> You effort is appreciated but ipset already provided by xtables-addons.
> http://xtables-addons.sourceforge.net/
>
> xtables-addons is already in debian, if need ipset compatible with recent
> linux kernels.

I think that since ipset is now in the mainline kernel having it
packaged on its own is worthwhile. Also given that the goal of the
xtables-addons project is to provide "extensions that were not, or are
not yet, accepted in the main kernel/iptables packages" and clearly
ipset is now part of the mainline kernel this packaging is appropriate.

There is still a place for xtables-addons, as it does provide modules
that are not in the kernel mainline that some people may want to use.

Personally I have been perplexed by this whole ipset vs. xtables
investment in this thread. The reality is that for a long time the ipset
tool (and now the supporting library) have needed to be updated within
Debian. I know that this packaging is not the first (my own only being
delayed by me trying to provide dkms support for older kernels and the
extreme lack of documentation on DKMS). One of these packaging attempts
deserves a sponsor and inclusion in the mainline of our distribution.

--
Nikolai Lusan <nikolai@lusan.id.au>