Re: How to tell users that ia32-libs will go away

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 04:43:04PM +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> Le 09/02/12 15:53, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :

> > now that a multiarch dpkg has been uploaded to experimental it looks
> > like we can finaly get rid of ia32-libs* for wheezy.

> > !!!HURAY!!!

> > The problem now is the transition:

> > 1) multiarch and ia32-libs are incompatible
> >[...]
> > What this means is that users that want to use multiarch should remove
> > ia32-libs (and lib32* really) soonest.

> Couldn't you make ia32-libs a meta-package pulling the multiarch version
> of the libs it used to include ?

This would require something like

  Depends: libpam0g:i386, libssl098:i386, [...]

and this syntax is not yet supported (intentionally, because there's a lot
of policy that needs to be put in place before we allow such things).

Ubuntu, faced with the same issue, kludged a bit to make upgrades possible.

  Package: ia32-libs
  Architecture: amd64
  Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch

  Package: ia32-libs-multiarch
  Architecture: i386
  Multi-Arch: foreign
  Depends: libpam0g, [...]

This doesn't require us to support :arch syntax for dependencies anywhere
yet; it just requires that the i386 arch is enabled via multiarch, and that
the package manager is able to resolve the fact that ia32-libs' dependency
is satisfied by the only copy of ia32-libs-multiarch available, the i386
one.

However, this still introduces at least some of the same policy problems -
for instance, britney has to be taught that this is ok if you want to be
able to migrate this package to testing automatically.  And you need a
multiarch-capable package manager installed and configured *before* you can
upgrade this package, so that requires a two-step upgrade of some variety:
either holding ia32-libs back until after the dist-upgrade, or upgrading the
package manager before the dist-upgrade.