Re: RFS: rhinote (new upstream version)

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Andrea Bolognani wrote:

> Yeah, I should probably have mentioned it, but mostly due to the fact
> that I’ve added Vcs-* fields — or is collab-maint considered special
> in this regard?

Right, collab-maint isn't special here.

> Do you suggest mentioning the addition in the changelog entry for the
> next upload, or editing the current entry? The latter seems hacky, but
> the former is a plain lie.

It isn't important to do anything, but if you want to do something,
edit the current entry.

> rhinote depends on cups-bsd, which has Priority: extra, and according
> to Policy packages can’t depend on packages with lower priority.
>
> Since I’m going to have to patch the source anyway due to the suggestions
> you made below, I might try to make it use lp where available (with
> fallback to lpr), and depend on cups-client | lpr (both of which are
>
> I believe I could then drop the dependency on cups-bsd | lprng, since
> both packages provide lpr, and raise the priority to optional again. Is
> that correct?

I'm not sure, hopefully someone else will reply to this though. It
sounds like it might be right though.

> I’ve already forwarded them; upstream will probably include them in the
> next upstream release, whenever that might be. Any suggestions on how to
> document this fact? If we were talking about a patch, I would just use
> DEP3, but this is a different scenario…

You can include a comment documenting the URL they have been forwarded
to. For desktop files, start the comment line with "# " (without
quotes). For the manual page, start the comment line with .\" instead.

>> One warning from pyflakes to forward upstream:
>>
>> rhinote.py:24: 'from Tkinter import *' used; unable to detect undefined names
>
> I will notify upstream about this, maybe after doing some research to
> understand what it means ;)

I think it is a deficiency in pyflakes that hints that it is a good
idea to only import the things that are directly used instead of
everything in the module.

> I have to admit I’m guilty of never having attempted to print using
> Rhinote, mostly due to the fact that I rarely have a printer handy.
> Lesson learned.

Printing is something I hope I never have to do again, especially
given things like this:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/01/05/hp-patches-printer-firmware-flaw/

> I will try to conjure a patch addressing all the concerns you raised
> during the course of the next few days, and I hope you’ll be willing to
> review it when it’s done to make sure it is suitable for inclusion
> upstream. As I’ve mentioned earlier, I don’t have deep knowledge of
> Python, but you sure seem to know your way around it.

Sure, no probs.

--
bye,
pabs