Re: RFS: libqsi

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Jasem Mutlaq wrote:
>
>> Ok, I got a confirmation from QSI that the source code for libqsi is
>> proprietary. They grant you the right to distribute source and binary
>> forms of the library, but not to modify the source itself. Can this be
>> added to Debian 'non-free' ?
>
> The non-free part of the archive only requires that Debian and our
> mirrors have permission to distribute.
>
> Also see these parts of policy for some things related to non-free:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s-copyrightfile
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-non-free
>
> Please ask upstream to switch to a well known and understood Free
> Software license (such as MIT/BSD/GPL).

The driver that requires this library (INDI QSI driver) is released
under the LGPL v2.1. However, the library itself (QSI) is proprietary
and there is no open source alternative as this is a very special
purpose library for controlling astronomical CCDs. Therefore, I think
the INDI QSI driver can end up in "contrib" and libqsi end up in
"non-free" ?

Is there a procedure to ask the inclusion of these packages into those
respective archives?

--
Best Regards,
Jasem Mutlaq