Re: Making mentors.debian.net a .org (was: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests)

Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 01:07:02AM -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>> Like I've said before, this is not about eliminating ambiguity.  Every
>> single word in every single language is ambiguous.  It's simply
>> unavoidable.  It's about choosing the word with the right context for
>> the goals of the service.
>
> That's the primary goal, yes, absolutely. Though the past shows clearly
> how un ambiguous terms served us with confusion, may they have been as
> appropriate as possible (see the DM != DM != DD != maintainer debacle).
> My point being, we should look for a perfectly describing term, and then
> make sure it's not used already in a different (or worse: a similar)
> context.

I can see the appeal of sorting out the confusion, but whatever the
new .debian.org subdomain and BTS pseudo-package get called, aren't
they still going to be tied to a debian-mentors mail archive?

>> This should be a place for contributors to come together to
>> collaborate and make their work better before pestering a DD about it;
>> with minimal experienced intervention (mentoring).
>
> Well, I'm not a native english speaker, though what you're describing
> doesn't sound like mentoring but rather training.

I suspect there's a misunderstanding here; the way I read it is that
Michael would like the new service to advertise itself as a place
where contributors assist one another *without* experienced developers
needing to train them, because that's how debian-mentors currently
works; despite the name, it's a place for finding an upload sponsor,
not a mentor.

> To mentor, as I
> understand it, is an action someone skilled performs in order to teach
> or train another person. As you said, the service provided here is for
> those who still learn, who are being mentored, i.e. it's actually not
> for mentoring.
>
> Now, I'm not sure "training" is the right term, as it suggests (to me)
> the service is something like a playground, but I can be mistaken. A
> native speaker should probably say something here.

Are you perhaps thinking of "trainers" (en_US "sneakers")?
--
JBR - and today's single word in West Greenlandic is:
Allattuivvissaaliqisarsimaqaanga "I was really short of notebooks"