Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

Hi,

On 18.01.2012 08:40, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Dear DSA, do you think it's possible to have a CNAME mentors.debian.org
> pointing to mentors.debian.net? It's currently not hosted on a .d.o
> machine but AIUI the mentors.debian.net admins are interested to move it
> to DSA-managed host at some point.

as a maintainer of mentors.d.n I can confirm our interest to make
mentors an official Debian service at some point. However, we are not in
a hurry to do so immediately and I believe that's something which needs
consensus among developers before we can seriously consider that.
Moreover, we're lacking Debian Developers interested to join our team
which is sort of a prerequisite to integrate a team into Debian's
organizational structure.

We are in a fairly comfortable hardware situation for the time being
too, so there is no urgent need for DSA to provide us hardware to host
mentors. That said, if DSA feels comfortable to provide us a debian.org
CNAME, or wants to host our service, I think nobody from our side will
object that.

It is indeed unfortunate to eventually have a "mentors.debian.org"
pseudo-package but no such host, which is why we suggested
"debian-mentors" instead. That said, I fully understand Don's argument
to prefer URLs over names which could possibly clash with existing
packages.

Finally I'd like to point out, that the pseudo-package we are suggesting
does not at all integrate any workflow based on the mentors.debian.net
service (yet). So, any bug tracked in such a package would not be
directly related to any particular workflow on Debexpo (i.e. the
software). Therefore I would be fine with "mentors.debian.org" as a
CNAME pointing to a static page hosted on the Debian CMS, e.g. say
http://www.debian.org/mentors/ for now. That site would only contain a
landing page with links to the debian-mentors list (archives) and
mentors.debian.net or something similar.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll
IRC: daemonkeeper on Freenode/OFTC