Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:59:14PM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> SUMMARY
> =======
>
> We plan to ask for the creation of a new pseudo-package
> debian-mentors or mentors.debian.org [3] (contact:
> debian-mentors@lists.debian.org) in Debian's bug tracking system (the
> name is still subject to change). A workflow for handling sponsoring
> requests is proposed below. It is based on an earlier discussion on the
> debian-mentors list[1].

I would like to add that FreeBSD is successfully employing a very
similar mechanism. Everyone can send patches to the ports tree (=~
Debian packages) to the bug tracker as problem reports (=~ bugs). The
natural solution to these reports is that a committer (=~ Debian
Developer) commits (=~ uploads) the patch (=~ package) and closes the
report with a message most often looking like "Thanks. Committed.".

While I do agree that the Debian bts is difficult for new comers at
times, it is also very convenient for long term usage. I would
personally benefit from the implementation of this proposal.

Helmut