Re: How to bring life into a (Tk) package?

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Olе Streicher wrote:

> I want to adopt the package "tktable2.9" but I found me confronted with
> some problems:
>
> 1. The package name contains the version, and since the upstream version
> is now 2.10, I would need to give a new name.

I'd suggest removing the version from the name.

> 2. The package was orphaned since 2008 and is removed from unstable (and
> testing) now, see but #465957. However, it is still available in stable.
>
> Is this then a new package (so that I need to write an ITP), or is it
> still an adoption (and I need to write an ITA)?

ITP, but I don't think that matters much. I see you went with that.
When you re-introduce it, please audit the bugs that were closed with
a +rm version to see if they still apply to the new package.

> 3. The Debian Tcl/Tk policy states that the modules should be named
> "tk-table". My package, however is called "tktable2.10" (src) and
> "libtktable2.10" (binary). Is this a good moment for a name change, so
> that both (src and binary) are called "tk-table" (without version
> number)? If yes, how should I state the dependencies? In the moment,
> they are:

Definitely a good time to use the new name:

http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package

> since some time ago (~7 years from now) the versioned package was
> introduced. What is the best way to fix this?

You can drop those old Conflicts/Replaces.

> On the build side, I find the policy quite confusing: It says "Build
> dependencies for Tcl/Tk dependent packages must be declared for every
> Tcl/Tk version, that the package is built for. In order to build for a
> specific version, add the versioned Tcl/Tk packages dependencies; it is
> generally better and recommended depending on the appropriate default
> packages with an eventual strict or relaxed versioning."
>
> Since the package can be build for 8.4 as well as for 8.5, what should I
> put into the Build-Depends and Depends? The old package used

8.4 is in the process of being removed from Debian, please do not use it.

> Is it OK to just replace that with the unversioned relationships?

I don't know about Tcl/Tk, but I would say yes that is fine.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise