Re: RFS: roxterm 2.4.2-1 (was 2.4.1-1)

Am Donnerstag, den 05.01.2012, 13:30 +0000 schrieb Tony Houghton:

> The debian packaging and upstream are in one repository and I didn't
> want the contents of the release tarball to be inconsistent with what's
> in the package. I would also have to change the way I use git tags to
> generate a version number dynamically.

I do it that way:
I use a dedicated git branch for the debian stuff, containing the
the debian stuff (and the source, but source is not edited in this
branch)
The developement (on the source) is done in a different branch and
whenever I want to make a debian package I just merge the latest source
into the "debian branch".
This way your tricks with git-tags could still work. (Anyway, can you
elaborate on this, as I am curious about this idea)

> I think I'll separate the debian packaging from upstream soon, it does
> seem more practical overall. But I still don't really understand how
> automated tools can find the upstream source as well as the packaging
> from the Vcs control fields when they're in separate repositories.

I was told that the VCS cotnrol fields are not meant for "upstream" but
only to point to servers on the debian infrasturcture to contain the
packaging stuff.
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/12/msg00407.html)