Re: Advice on packaging a PHP application (ITP for Shaarli)

On 01/06/2012 07:13 AM, Emilien Klein wrote:
> By default, those directories are created in the same folder as where
> the application files are (that would mean under /usr/share/shaarli).
> Would /var/lib/shaarli be a better place to locate these folders?
Remember that /usr can be a read-only filesystem if one wants to, and
your PHP thing should continue to work.

On 01/06/2012 07:13 AM, Emilien Klein wrote:
> - By creating the Apache configuration file, I force the user to use
> the "/links" url. Is there a better way, for instance on defaulting
> with /links, but giving the option to change that using
> `dpkg-reconfigure` (which BTW isn't available on my sid install???) Or
> is there a way to mark this file as a config file, so that the user
> would be able to edit it and it wouldn't later be overwritten during
> an upgrade?

The /links thing is too generic, and it might clash with other things. I
wouldn't use it if I was you. In fact, I see no reason why you would force
it at all. Just don't setup anything if possible, and do a README.debian.
Just your <Directory> portion is enough.

On 01/06/2012 07:13 AM, Emilien Klein wrote:
> - Should I handle more than just Apache2 (other webservers)?

Nobody can force you to support anything, but *please*, do not
force anyone into using Apache by adding dependencies to it.
In my environment for example, I can install PHP packages,
but no web server (I install things in a chroot...). We have a
Recommends: field for things like that...

On 01/06/2012 07:13 AM, Emilien Klein wrote:
> - What about using the debian/postinst (and probably a corresponding
> debian/postrm)? The Debian New Maintainers' Guide specifically warns
> new users against using them [0].
It's perfectly fine to use maintainer scripts for reconfiguring
your web server, but often, I've seen PHP application
maintainers abusing it, and making dangerous assumptions
about my hosting environment.

Cheers,

Thomas