Re: RFS: v3c-2.4.0-01

On 17/12/11 02:55, The Fungi wrote:
> On 2011-12-16 18:34:22 +0000 (+0000), Philip Ashmore wrote:
> [...]
>> I guess I shouldn't post the updates to SourceForge GIT until I
>> can get v3c accepted to Debian.
>>
>> Won't lintian/sponsors complain that the version being submitted
>> is newer than the upstream version - the version pointed to by the
>> watch file?
>
> Packages officially included in Debian quite often need to be
> maintained by different individuals than the upstream software
> authors, thus packaging-related work is best managed as a separate
> project from the upstream source it packages so that it doesn't get
> in the way of those efforts. In Debian source and binary package
Maybe my situation is unique then, because the v3c package includes the ability to create debian packages (with build-essentials help, of course), and getting it accepted
into debian without changes is my primary goal here.
> file names you'll see the upstream version and Debian package
> version are different numbers separated by a hyphen (-). This way,
> when only the packaging itself is modified you don't need to
> increase the upstream version component since the upstream
> tarball(s) remain unchanged from the previous package.
>
> Some pedants will likely bring up native packages as an exception to
> this, but in years on this list I don't think I've ever seen a DD
> sponsor a native package as new so it's not particularly relevant in
> this case.
>
> If your upstream source and Debian packaging are truly separate,
> then any changes to your upstream code needed to ease your packaging
> work can be committed to your git repository before you start
> requesting sponsoring of your Debian source package. That said, if
> you have a reasonable need to get a sponsor to upload a package
> containing a newer upstream version than the published one (an
> embargoed security patch, for example), that shouldn't pose a
> problem for a sponsor as long as it's explained sufficiently.
Since v3c-2.4.0-01 is already in GIT and since I had to change it to pass lintian tests,
I'll file wnpp ITP bug for v3c-2.5.0-01.
It needs a large version bump as clients may well expect to be able to build debian packages that can also be accepted into Debian - one of the goals of this package.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore