Re: flashcache - call for resolution / seeking for a mentor

Hi Andrey,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

On 21 September 2011 16:31, Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@wrar.name> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 01:21:00PM +1000, onlyjob wrote:
>>     Could someone please kindly have a look at the package I've made
>> (and provide comments)?
> You didn't fix Vcs-* per Arno comments in the ITP bug.

I can't quite do it yet because I have no public repository.
Given that our only option is merge, it looks like there will be no
second repository.

> What is "This has to be exported to make some magic below work." (before
> 'export DH_OPTIONS')?

Hmm, apparently a remnants after dh_make

> You dont need --with quilt and quilt Build-Dep with 3.0 (quilt) and lintian
> tells you that.

Thanks.

> If "At the moment this version works only on x86_64 a.k.a. amd64" why
> Architecture: linux-any?

That is an interesting question.
We believe that upstream may eventually fix that.

I remember reading discussion on this some time ago, regarding
different package with similar problem.
It was suggested that limiting package for the only architecture as
workaround for upstream bugs is not recommended
because package may be ported to a different architecture etc. I had
impression that if package meant to be useful on linux-any
it should be a target architecture despite know problems with some
particular architectures.
Please correct me on this - what's the best practice?

> Some files under utils/ are 2-BSD and it is useful to document that in
> debian/copyright. It may be better to convert debian/copyright to
> http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/ format at least in this case.
> Also, I think "Based on DM-Cache: Copyright (C) International Business
> Machines Corp., 2006" should be reflected in debian/copyright too.
>
> The patch lacks author information (did you see
> http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/ ? it suggests adding other useful
> information to patch headers).

No I did not - thank you very much for the hint.

>> The package I need someone to look at is "flashcache" uploaded to
>> mentors.debian.net
> The usual practice is to provide at least an URL of .dsc.
> It's
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/flashcache/flashcache_1.0~20110920132357-1.dsc

My bad, sorry. I shouldn't assume that people have

deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main

in /etc/apt/sources.list

Regards,
Dmitry.