Re: RFS: mail-notification (updated package; NMU for RC bugs among others)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:08:57 +0200, Sven Hoexter <sven@timegate.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 10:34:11AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > > OK - do you have any pointers to migration documentation? The main
> > > intent of the NMU was to fix the FTBFS, not really overhaul the whole
> > > package, but it would indeed be better to avoid leaving predictable
> > > future FTBFSes...
> >
> > It seems strange to me to have changes of this scale in a NMU.  Wouldn't
> > you rather either hijack the package or talk to Liu Qi about adding
> > yourself as a co-maintainer?  Especially since it's your 5th NMU of this
> > package in a row, you're kind of its official non-maintainer :p
>
> I've uploaded one the NMUs in the past and last time Liu ACK'ed the NMU
> because he had not enough time to care at the time. I think I already
> proposed to Steve to take over the whole thing upstream because it's dead
> otherwise. Steve and some other people from other distros currently pass
> around patches and the mess is getting bigger every other month. :-/

I went for a large-scale NMU mainly because, compared to the work involved
fixing the FTBFS bug (the patches adding support for Evolution 3 and
switching to GTK+ 3), the rest was rather simple and addressed either nasty
bugs (the eggtrayicon segfault and Polish crash), important missing
functionality people have been waiting for for years (SSL) or a trivial
text-formatting fix (<b> instead of <span>). Then I fixed some lintian
warnings because I know some sponsors prefer a reasonably lintian-clean
package!

I have indeed ended up being the "de facto" maintainer, and Qi agreed in
March that we should probably co-maintain it (well, strictly speaking the
agreement was that I should have access to a repository used to maintain
mail-notification). Since then though I haven't heard anything.

I also attempted to get in touch with Jean-Yves Lefort but haven't heard
anything from him either.

In any case I don't mind either taking over upstream or taking over the
Debian package (or both). I don't know if it's possible to take over a dead
project on Savannah and Launchpad (where mail-notification are hosted), as
used to be the case on SourceForge...

In the meantime though, would any one like to sponsor the NMU?

Regards,

Stephen