tkpath review

Hello Vitaly,

I'm glad to see you're going to maintain tkpath, as it's really useful
piece of software (and I thought of making a package myself once).

However, your packaging ([1]) has some problems which would be good to
fix.

Also, I'm not a DD so I can't upload, sorry :)

Well, let's start. Sure, that's not everything, but just things I could
spot easily.

i) debian/changelog: your entry must close an ITP bug (don't put xxxxxx
there, open a real bug report; you can use reportbug program to
simplify this).

ii) Most probably you don't want to create a native package (read
maintainer's documentation on this [2]), therefore the package's
version should be 0.3.1-1. Please change debian/source/format too.

iii) Your package build-depends on debhelper (>= 7.0.50~) but doesn't
seem to actually use any features of it. I'd recommend you to actually
use dh7's short form, which makes it possible to radically reduce
the number of lines your debian/rules file. That also highlights your
changes to the boilerplate rules file and makes them easy to spot.
Also, if the build process changes in the future, the changes will be
minimal.

iv) Your debian/control says the package depends on '${shlibs:Depends},
${misc:Depends}, tk8.5 , tcl8.5'. First, I'd remove the extra after
tk8.5, but are you sure it's really 8.5? You'd better use
${tcl:Depends} and ${tk:Depends} and tcltk-depends helper from tk-dev
package, on which you should build-depend if you use it.

v) Also, in the same file you build-depend on tcl8.5-dev and tk8.5-dev.
That means, I can't build the package if I have no 8.5 packages
installed but I do have {tcl,tk}8.4-dev and {tcl,tk}8.6-dev. You should
depend on tk-dev and tcl-dev. I'm pretty sure the package will build on
8.4 too, but please test and add versioned dependencies if it doesn't.

vi) mv $(CURDIR)/debian/tmp/usr/lib/* $(PDIR)/usr/lib/tcltk. This step
is not needed AFAIK, the dirs file listing /usr/lib/tcltk is not as
well. Looking at tclxml package, it works perfectly
from /usr/lib/Tclxml3.x, so should tkpath.

vii) You have debian/docs empty, but list doc/* in debian/rules as
`dh_installdocs doc/*`. Please use debian/docs instead.

viii) debian/control again. You have the following short description:
'It is an extension package to Tcl/Tk for the canvas widget'. Drop 'It
is'. Just something like 'Tcl/Tk improved canvas widget' would be
enough, I think. Also, remove ANNOUNCE stuff from the long description
and clean it up a bit.

ix) Vcs-* fields. Put your packaging under version control and upload
it to Alioth using whatever VCS you like (it may be Git or Mercurial or
anything else). There are some tools which simplify (or not really) the
workflow when using VCS, you may be interested in using them. Then
uncomment Vcs-* fields and put the actual URLs there. Don't forget to
commit changes!

x) After you fix the problems above, don't forget to run your packaging
through lintian and fix at least the most important problems it
indicates. Then, please read the Policy changelog, find out what's
changed between 3.8.4 and 3.9.2 and determine if it concerns you.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Please keep the
mailing list CC'ed (also, you may want to subscribe to it).

When you have any progress, upload what you did to mentors/debexpo
and post a message here.

Links:
[1] http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/tkpath/tkpath_0.3.1.dsc
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/first.en.html#non-native-dh-make