Some Packaging Questions

I am looking at trying to package some extra aircraft for FlightGear. As
I think there are too many aircraft to package individually, I was going
to package them in groups according to category (military,
helicopters, ...), should I just use one source package or one source
package per group?

Most of the aircraft are release as .zip archives, I am assuming this
means they will have to be re-archived in a better format, but do I
archive the aircraft together, or use the quilt format to give many orig
archives?

Thanks,

Chris