Re: Plan for managing the SWISS EPHEMERIS data, virtual packages.

On Friday, August 05, 2011 10:35:11 AM you wrote:
> Hi Paul,

> What you want is not a virtual package but rather a meta-package. See
> xserver-xorg for example (or texlive or libreoffice) which pull in
> submodules from a central package that holds only central information or
> even only puts the Depends (like the gnome and gnome-desktop-environment
> package too).
>
> That way you can break apart sensible chunks into separate packages (up to
> 54) and join them back with the central "give me everything" package
> (which would be no. 55 at worst).
>
> I doubt however that it'll make sense to break apart more than ~10 packages
> but I'll leave the decision up to you or someone more experienced with the
> daily usage.

A metapackage is basicly a package that does nothing but depends on other
packages, so that installing a metapackage forces a combination of other
packages to be installed.

So if I created one package for every SE file, then I could define a metapackage
SE-data-all that would depend on all of them. Some one else could define a
packages that only depends on the modern data, SE-data-modern.

The problem with this is that it requires me to package each file individually.
I hoped to avoid doing this.

If I define one virtual package for each file, I don't have to individually
package each file. I can create one package that provides and conflicts
with each individual virtual package=file and  has a copy of all the data and
call this SE-data-all.

Someone else later could create a package that contained only the modern data,
that would provide and conflict with each virtual package for which the
coresponding file contained modern data and in would include only those files.
They would call this SE-data-modern.

Application programs could decide which virtual packages they wanted to depend
on and recommend.

Thus the maitreya astrology program could depend on the modern data and
recommend all the other.

At first my SE-data-all would be the only data package in existance, so
maitreya would be forced to bring in all the data. But if someone later
created SE-data-modern, the installer of maitreya could force only the modern
data to be installed for a low diskspace application even though all the data
would still be recommended.

My original question is, is this a legitimate use of the virtual package
concept?

And does this exception apply
> Packages MUST NOT use virtual package names (except privately, amongst
> a cooperating group of packages) unless they have been agreed upon and
> appear in this list.
because programs that use the Swiss Ephemeris are a cooperating group of
packages, so that I do not have to seek consensus on devian-devel?

Thank You for considering this.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J