Re: RFS: libgeier (updated package)

On 07/12/2011 03:49 PM, Olaf Dietsche wrote:

> Anyway, I looked into unstable and patched /usr/lib/libxmlsec1*.la
> temporarily, which means clearing dependency_libs.
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't help. Libtool (ld) still links libgeier
> against all the (unnecessary) libs as before. dpkg-shlibdeps warns about
> and ldd libgeier.so outputs the same list as before.

Yes, of course, the la file has nothing to do with the actual linking.
If you want to reduce those warnings, either build with ld --as-needed
or omit the libraries from the command line.

> So, clearing dependency_libs alone, doesn't help really, because the
> additional libs are also introduced through pkg-config.

The purpose of this change is the following:

libfoo1 is a normal library, sitting in /usr/lib/libfoo.so|la

libbar1 uses some symbols from libfoo, thus has 'dependency_libs:
/usr/lib/libfoo.la' in it's la-file.

foobar is a program, linking against libbar1, during the linking,
dependency_libs is evaluated, all is fine.

Now libfoo1 is converted to multiarch, going into /usr/lib/<triplet>

foobar is now linked against libbar1, which still points to
/usr/lib/libfoo.la - which doesn't exist anymore, the build fails.

See http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval

>>> If libxmlsec1-dev's were empty, we wouldn't discuss this matter for
>>> libgeier.
>>
>> See above, in the current unstable version the dependency_libs field
>> is empty.
>
> Is there any dh_fixup_la_file debhelper or is it up to every single
> maintainer to add some sed fiddling?

I don't think so. Ideally, all .la files will be dropped from the
archive, once they aren't referenced anymore by other libraries, so it's
an unnecessary helper. New library packages shouldn't install the la
file anyway.