Re: RFS: libgeier (updated package)

On 07/11/2011 08:17 PM, Olaf Dietsche wrote:

>> I didn't look into your package, but still having an empty
>> dependency_libs entry is important for multiarch support. According to
>> http://release.debian.org/~aba/la/current.txt (which is linked from
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01003.html) xmlsec1 is
>> OK, so you should really clean this entry in your libgeier.la.
>
> I don't understand this either.
>
> If xmlsec1 is ok and libtool copies these dependencies into libgeier.la,
> why is it an error for libgeier to include this information, but not for
> xmlsec1?

If you look at libxmlsec1-dev you will notice that the dependencies_libs
entry is empty, as it should be.

> If this is a bug for libgeier, libtool shouldn't copy these
> dependencies in the first place.
>
> And if an empty dependency_libs entry is important for multiarch
> support, why is it important for libgeier, but not for xmlsec1?

It's important for ALL packages to either ship no la-file at all (if no
other package references it) OR to have at least an empty
dependencies_libs entry in the la-file. libxmlsec1-dev's la-file is
empty, libgeier's isn't.